Use amber or cobalt blue glass for your oils and keep out of direct light. Do not store in plastic bottles. It is best not to store in the bathroom because of the heat during showers.
Using essential oils in the bath is one of the nicest ways to enjoy their therapeutic benefits. Adding them to a Carrier Oil help to disperse the essential oils throughout the water and onto to your body. Lighter oils disperse more readily in the water.
To use bath oils, draw your bath first, close the door and then add about two teaspoons of bath oil to your water.
Massage oils can be made from many different vegetable Carrier Oils. Choose the oil based on what you want the oil to do. Use a lighter oil if you want the oil to be absorbed readily into the skin. Use a heavier oil if you want the oil to stay on the top of the skin.
You can also choose the oil by what part of the body you are working on, for example Kukui Nut oil would be a perfect choice for the face and neck. A heavier oil such as sweet Almond might be the choice for a foot massage for very dry feet.
Vegetable Carrier Oils:
- Sweet Almond Oil The large molecules in this oil make it a heavier oil best suited for heavy massage or for a very moisturizing cream or salve. Sweet Almond oil contains Vitamins A, B1, B2 and B6 and a small amount of E. Protects and nourishes the skin.
- Apricot Kernel Oil Medium-light weight oil suitable for massage. Use in cream and lotion recipes. Good for all skins, especially prematurely aged, sensitive, inflamed and dry. Contains Minerals and Vitamins.
- Avocado Oil Medium-heavy weight oil suitable for massage. Use up to one-fourth to a cream or salve base. Contains Vitamins A, B, and D and is rich in lecithin. Penetrates the upper layers of the skin. Has beneficial effect on dry skin and Wrinkles.
- Grapeseed Oil Light weight oil suitable for light massage and is water-dispersible in the bath. Contains Vitamins, Minerals and protein. Good all around oil. Grapeseed oil is not suitable for creams or lotions.
- Hazelnut Oil Medium weight oil suitable for light massage. Perfect for Base Oil for creams. Hazelnut oil is said to penetrate the top layer of the skin slightly, being beneficial for oily or combinations skins and effective on Acne. It is stimulating to the Circulation and also has astringent properties. Contains oleic acid and a small proportion of linoleic acid.
- Jojoba, Refined Colorless Jojoba is not an oil, but a liquid wax; excellent choice for many aromatherapy uses. Most often used as the Carrier Oil of choice to use with essential oils. A must in all your cream and lotion recipes. It is very stable, having extremely good keeping qualities. Useful oil in cases of Acne.
- Jojoba, Golden Organic Choose this Jojoba for heavier creams, Soap making and when you want extra moisturizing. Less refined, it retains more Vitamins and Minerals than the refined. Not quite as stable. Jojoba contains myristic acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Kukui Nut Oil Light to medium weight oil. New on the scene, this oil is wonderful for mature, aging skin. Has a slight odor, which can be overcome by adding essential oils. Not offensive. Kukui Nut oil is readily absorbed into the skin and leaves the skin soft and very moisturized. An excellent oil to add to your cream and lotion formulas.
- Macadamia Nut Oil Medium weight oil suitable for massage. It is highly emollient and a good addition to your cream formulas. Very nice “feel” to the oil when applied to the skin.
- Olive Oil Heavy weight oil suitable for massage. Wonderful for salves, Olive Oil is emollient, soothing to inflamed skin. Use regular, not extra virgin, unless the odor is not objectionable.
- Sunflower Nut Oil Very light weight oil – perfect choice for bath oils. Also excellent in lotions, as this oil is most readily absorbed into the skin. Not suitable for massage due to absorption rate.
- Read our full carrier oil profiles.
Essential Oil Blends for the Bath and Massage
- Lavender Lavender is calming as well as uplifting and can be safely used with children. It’s sweet floral-herbaceous scent and balsamic-woody undertone may help to unwind at the end of a stressful day.
- Lavender/Rose Geranium Two parts Lavender to one part Rose Geranium. This recipe is meant to help calm your mind and lift your spirits. Rose Geranium has a rosy sweet scent and may be anti depressant and uplifting.
- Eucalyptus Blend Four parts Eucalyptus 70/75 and one part Tangerine essential oils. Will help relieve cold symptoms, especially in the bath. Add to a Carrier Oil/oils for muscular aches and pains or to help with congestion from a cold or sinus infection. Warming to the skin. Fragrance is fresh and pungent.
- Morning Energizer Two parts Lemon, one part Rosemary, two parts Tangerine. Energize with this refreshing blend. A wonderful morning wake-up and summertime refresher.
Get your herbs and oils at a place you can trust!
Starwest Botanicals not only utilizes their own milling and packaging operations for all organic herbs and bulk spices, they also conduct quality control testing on each and every product in their own laboratory.
With attention like that, you can be sure you will receive only the highest-quality organic herbs, dried herbs, organic spices, therapeutic essential oils and all natural products when you place an order with Starwest Botanicals.