A sore throat is unfortunately a part of a number of illnesses. It is often present when you have a cold or the flu. A severe sore throat can also be a sign of a bacterial infection that requires antibiotics. But in most cases, a sore throat will go away on its own when the related illness subsides.
But whether your sore throat is one that will go away on its own or one that requires treatment doesn't make much difference in how unpleasant it is.
Pain when talking, eating and drinking can put a damper on your normal activities and make you want to crawl into bed and stay there until it goes away.
Try these home remedies to help alleviate sore throat pain:
* Gargle with warm salt water. Put about 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a half cup of warm water, and gargle with it several times a day. This will provide relief and help keep infection at bay. It will also wash away postnasal drip, which can make a sore throat worse.
* Gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash such as Listerine. This will kill the germs in the throat.
* Eat fresh garlic. Garlic is well known for its ability to fight off infection, so this could eliminate the need for antibiotics.
* Eat ice cream, frozen yogurt, or other cold treats. Their cold temperature and smooth texture will temporarily ease the pain of a sore throat.
* Use a humidifier. This will help soothe the swollen air passages and help alleviate hoarseness.
* Avoid smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke. Smoke is an irritant that will make an already sore throat much worse.
* Suck on a lemon. The juice will help soothe the throat, and the vitamin C in it can help your body fight the germs that are causing the problem.
* Try gargling with mango bark extract. Add about ten drops to a glass of water and gargle with it a few times a day.
* Simmer some scallions in water for 5 minutes to make a tea. Drink three or four times a day to provide relief.
Virtually everyone gets a sore throat every now and then, even if it's simply from yelling too loudly. Most of the time, we can treat it effectively at home.
It's not even necessary to make a trip to the drugstore. Many of the ingredients in these sore throat remedies can be found right in our kitchens.
Boost Your Immune System
If you have a history of getting the ‘traditional’ one or two colds a year and/or a bout of flu, then Immu-Stay would be worth trying.
The prime objective is to boost your resistance to colds and other viruses, stimulate your immune system to optimal levels, and increase antioxidant activity. It does this by utilizing a complex mix of ingredients which have proven anti-viral properties.
Immu-Stay contains ingredients to help build up your immune system and fight off current and reoccurring symptoms.