NOTE: This is a long, information-packed article on The Healing Energy of Crystals and Stones. To make it easier to navigate, use the Table of Contents button to your right!
Whether in a home or a workspace, crystals can be versatile healing partners, adapting to the changing needs of those who occupy the space. Their vibrations can change in response to the energies around them and to the direct intentions of those who are working with them.
In effect, they can “rise” to meet new challenges depending upon the circumstances, their particular healing properties and how people choose to place and work with them.
Crystals can be an important ingredient in the recipe for creating a healthy, nourishing home or workspace. Like other elements, such as plant life and water features, crystals offer another way to connect more fully with nature and bring its vibrant life-force energies into our habitats.
Although the term crystal was used originally to refer to quartz crystal, this term is popularly used today to refer to all members of the mineral kingdom. From easily accessible garden rocks to fine gemstones, every member of the mineral kingdom has the potential to contribute to the health and well being of people and the spaces in which they live and work.
Crystals work by introducing specific energies that may promote greater health, balance and well being into a space. Like everything that exists in physical form, crystals hold subtle vibrations and may be used to alter or “re-attune” the energy of a space.
The History of Crystal Therapy
The growing use of crystals in healing today is not a New Age invention, but actually a return to the time-honored traditions that recognize nature's healing gifts and the importance of coming into greater partnership and harmony with nature.
Crystal therapy is an ancient art, usually referred to as the laying-on of stones. Crystal therapy was devised by the ancients to balance the chakras and transform the energy properties of the body, thereby resulting in a clear energy field. Crystal therapy is a form of energy healing.
Many of us are familiar with the legend of the Continent of Atlantis. The Atlanteans were a race of highly skilled individuals. The Atlanteans inhabited a society rich with technological advancements, particularly in the areas of medicine, engineering, agriculture, and astronomy.
The Atlanteans used crystals as a healing and curative source. They believed that crystals healed the auric body; healing the auric body would then lead to the natural healing of the physical body.
The penetration of the auric body by the stones and crystals initiated a connection between the energy of the crystal and the energy of the chakra. The theory states that by re-balancing the chakra energies a natural healing of the physical body would occur.
According to Edgar Cayce, the healing of the subtle bodies and auric fields were addressed by the Atlanteans through the use and application of crystals. The Atlanteans were aware of the inherent power of crystals and their energy vibrations. The laying-on of stones was employed as an accepted healing modality within Atlantean society.
Many people who have experienced past life regression therapy recall this technique. They have described life within Atlantean society, citing this particular ritual in detail and remembering it as a “healing.” Interestingly, some regression subjects have mentioned “seeing” themselves on a table while a facilitator places stones along their chakra lines.
Crystal Therapy Today
The current popularity of feng shui, the ancient art of placement, reflects renewed interest in returning to a more active partnership with nature. In feng shui, members of the mineral kingdom may be used to enhance the healthy energy or “chi” of a space.
Crystals may be used to introduce specific energies, break up stagnant energies that accumulate or remedy other energetic challenges such as windowless rooms where energy does not flow healthfully.
By introducing specific, subtle energies that are felt rather than seen, crystals contribute a unique element to the design of a space. Resulting feelings and experiences may vary from person to person.
The energy of unconditional love, frequently incorporated into room designs through crystals, is described as sweet, gentle or nourishing. Crystal vibrations that are experienced as peaceful, calming, strengthening or energizing are also popular choices to support rest, meditation, healing or active living.
Whether working like energetic vacuum cleaners or re-attuning unhealthy energies into healthy vibrations, some crystals are also used to help keep spaces energetically clean and healthy.
They may help to partially remedy the unhealthy effects of electromagnetic fields generated by computers and appliances, or the stressful energies generated within spaces or their surrounding neighborhoods.
The Energy of Crystals
Crystals emit energy. These energy fields exist. They are a point of fact, not fantasy. The scientific community has validated the existence of quartz crystal energy, as demonstrated by engineers and scientists at NASA . These scientists have successfully used various crystal components within the space industry. On a more identifiable scale, we cite the quartz-powered watches and transistor radios introduced to the 1960s baby-boomer generation. These items were powered by quartz crystals.
It is important to note that just as we are individual, so, too, are crystals. The pulse, vibratory rate, or energy, of a particular crystal may not be a good fit for one person, but may be perfect for another. We all vibrate at different rates. Crystals do, too.
How Crystals Heal
In a Crystal healing, there is a subtle energy shift that gives way to an opening whereby stored, unresolved emotional energy, evidenced by the body as dis-ease and pain, can be changed. This window of opportunity for change puts healing and personal empowerment into motion, assisting us as we grow.
In a Crystal healing session, semi-precious stones are also used to assist with healing. All semi-precious stones, like their crystal counterparts, emit energy, as well as receive, absorb, transform and trasmit energy. There is a definite vibration and energy within each stone. It is this energy that is used by the crystal energy healer.
Most of the semi-precious stones used by the Crystal Healer are members of the quartz and chalcedony family, such as amethyst, adventurine, agate, carnelian, citrine, rose quartz, smoky quartz, tiger”s eye. The healer is not limited to any of these stones in particular. There are some Crystal Healers who also harness the energies of precious stones, such as diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and sapphires. However, it is safe to say that this is likely to be the exception, rather than the norm.
Crystals Used in Healing
Medicinal Crystals as Herbal Medicine
In the ancient Materia Medica of the East, Tibetan, Hindu and Chinese healing texts would often refer to crystal as herbs. The reference to crystals as “herbs” will be interchanged often in this text.
Herbal medicine is one of the great herbal systems of the world and has an unbroken tradition going back to the 3rd century BC. Together with acupuncture, massage (Tuina), exercise (Tai Qi, Qi Gong) and dietary therapy, it forms part of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
All these treatments share the same theory and the same aim, not just to treat symptoms but to deal with underlying imbalances and to strengthen the person's Qi to prevent a recurrence of disease.
Chinese herbal medicine is extensively practiced throughout clinics and hospitals in China for the treatment of a very wide range of conditions. Because of its systematic approach and clinical effectiveness it has for centuries had a very big influence on the theory and practice of medicine throughout the Far East.
During its two thousand year history, great doctors have contributed to its store of knowledge and wisdom, and in the past few decades a great deal of research has been done in China into every aspect of its use. The result is a subtle, powerful and flexible system.
The range of conditions that can be treated with Chinese herbs is wide, but the following may be singled out:
Skin problems, including eczema, psoriasis, acne, urticaria Digestive disorders, including diarrhoea, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome Gynaecological problems, including menstrual problems and pre-menstrual syndrome Chronic fatigue, including ME or ‘post-viral syndrome' Asthma, coughs, bronchitis, Hay fever, sinusitis, rhinitis, Urinary problems, including chronic cystitis.
Chinese herbal medicine uses several hundred substances, mostly of plant origin (roots, seeds, flowers, twigs, crystals, bones and barks). These are hardly ever prescribed singly. They are combined into a formula which usually contains between 8 and 12 ingredients.
The exact combination is adjusted to suit the patient's individual condition, and is likely to be altered as the treatment progresses to take account of changes that have occurred. It is therefore a very flexible system which can be closely tailored to the needs of the individual.
Some crystals used medicinally in Chinese Medicine include quartz, hematite, cinnabar, pearl and magnatite.
Clear quartz crystals are powerful energy tools. Many of us who are involved in this new age, recognize the importance of crystals as healing tools. Crystals have a definite energy field. It is possible to feel the individual vibrations that they emit. Crystals are possessed with remarkable ability to transform, absorb, amplify, and transmit.
Quartz crystals are composed of silicon dioxide. There are also deposits of certain trace elements co-existing within the entirety of the silicon dioxide. The trace elements within quartz crystal affect the color of the crystal, which in turn changes the frequency of the quartz. The addition of the trace elements also changes the vibration of the crystal.
Rose Quartz, Amethyst, and Aulmauracite
While the crystal choices available are seemingly limitless, long-time favorites like rose quartz and amethyst continue to be widely recommended and shared. Associated with the energy of unconditional love, rose quartz has long been a favorite of those seeking to share love, provide comfort during challenging times and return to balance after times of crisis.
During times of stress and fear in the world, this stone's sweet energy can help to create a space that enables one to feel nourished, supported and able to respond to the demands of the day.
Although frequently used in bedrooms where it nourishes during sleep time, this crystal is also helpful in other areas of the home and office.
Amethyst, a rich purple stone, is also a versatile crystal partner. Its energy has both cleansing and elevating effects. Frequently used in healing rooms and other spaces, this stone's energy can assist in clearing and maintaining a clean, nourishing space in places where stagnant energies may accumulate.
Its refined, elevating qualities can be a welcome support in creating sacred spaces used for meditation, contemplation and prayer.
Aulmauracite Power Rock – Each Power Rock is unique, and customizes itself to the energies and life's mission statement of its user. Your spiritual quest and mission becomes its quest and mission if activated and used properly with benevolence and integrity.
Additional Crystals for Healing
- quamarine: Heart, immune system, thymus, lymph nodes. Calming, uplifting, flexibility, innocence, joy, creativity, communication, self-knowledge, confidence, purpose. Releasing anxiety, fear, and restlessness.
- Carnelian: Circulatory system, kidneys, stimulate appetite, emotions, sexuality, physical energy, celebration, reproductive system, menstrual cramps, arthritis, kidneys, gall bladder, pancreas. Confidence, assertiveness, drive.
- Citrine: Acid indigestion, food disorders, allergies. Cleansing spleen, kidneys, liver, urinary system, intestines. Mental and emotional clarity, problem-solving, memory, willpower, optimism, confidence, self-discipline. Reducing anxiety, fear, and depression.
- Coral: Muscles, blood, heart, reproductive system, thyroid, metabolism, spine, bone and tissue regeneration. Not to be used with high blood pressure. Protect and strengthen emotional foundation and enliven emotions.
- Diamond: Increase personal clarity, trust, confidence. Amplify thoughts, attitudes, strengths and weaknesses: Prosperity, generosity, love, spirituality.
- Emerald: Respiratory system, heart, lymph nodes, blood, thymus, balance blood sugar, childbirth, eyesight. Strengthen heart chakra for abundance, growth, peace, harmony, patience, love, monogamy, honesty. Lift depression and insomnia.
- Jade: Heart, thymus, immune, kidney and cleansing blood, nervous system. Courage, knowledge, justice, compassion, emotional balance, humility, generosity, harmony, wealth, longevity.
- Lapis: Anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, shyness, nervous system, speech, hearing, pituitary, inflammation, pain. Mind expansion, intuition, creativity, spiritual connection. Organize, quiet the mind.
- Malachite: Stomach, liver, kidney stones, respiratory system, immune system, vision, circulatory system. Release pain, inflammation, depression, anger. Stimulate psychic vision, concentration.
- uby: Infections, cholesterol, blood clots, blood cleansing, impotency. Stimulate circulation, menses, pituitary. Love, courage, confidence, vitality, stamina, strength, leadership, triumph over adversity. Intensify all emotions.
- Sapphire: Reducing inflammation, fevers, nosebleeds. Hearing problems, TB, burns. Communication, depression, intuition, clairaudience, mental clarity and calm.
Crystal Therapy: Investing In Change
Change is inevitable. Our lives are made up of the building blocks of change. Change creates the person we must grow to be. Change happens for a reason. That reason is to allow us possibilities we may not have seen in the first place. This can be traumatic or it can be less so.
The single most important point you can make about change is that in most cases it's not what faces you that's the problem, it's how you react to it.
How you react is determined by how you perceive a particular change. The Chinese word for crisis is “weiji”. Two characters that separately mean danger and opportunity. Every problem we encounter in life can be viewed that way. It is a chance to show that we can handle it. Changing the way you think, can change a life of stress and discomfort to a life of challenge and excitement.
Change shows itself in many forms. The move to a different career, by choice or not, the loss of a loved one, the loss of a relationship, the move to a new home or simply the change in the weather and how we feel. It is important to embrace the transition!
Struggling, kicking and screaming and dragging your heals will only prolong trying to control the uncontrollable. Learn to recognize strengths you may have overlooked. Embrace optimism and reform your old belief system.
Crystals for Change:
- –Bloodstone brings the ability to adapt to change more easily.
- –Cerussite is grounding and shows us how to understand change as it happens around us.
- –Chrysanthemum Stone brings equilibrium to changing situations
- –Chrysocolla allows us to accept change with calmness and serenity It makes for smooth transitions.
- –Larimar gives us the ability to “go with the flow”. It is a heart soothing stone that brings awareness to change.
- –Malachite is a great stone to have, which encourage change to occur.
- –Mookaite (Jasper) helps to emphasize the flexibility with change and encourages new experiences.
- –Moonstone makes one conscious of the fact that all things are part of a cycle of constant change.
- -Rose Quartz assists in the acceptance of change that is necessary.
Treatments for Change
- Carry four of the above stones with you in a pouch, pocket or purse.
- A “Change” gem essence can be created with rose quartz, malachite and chrysocolla. Mist over the entire aura. Take 8-10 drops under the tongue every 4 hours.
- Laying of Stones: Place Rose Quartz at the Heart Chakra. Use Malachite and Bloodstone at the Heart Chakra. Lay a piece of Chrysocolla at the Throat Chakra. Chrysanthemum Stone and Cerussite can be placed at the Root Chakra, at both hip bones or between the legs.
- Emphasis on the Heart Chakra: This chakra helps us to embrace a changing world. It allows us to love and accept change as it passes our way. When the heart chakra is open it allows us freedom to be ourselves and to accept change that will keep us open and aware. This balance of openness to change and accepting it freely, gives us an even stronger ability to then follow our heart's desire without fear.
- Crystal Elixir: Make up a crystal elixir with bloodstone and larimar. Add sunflower oil and rosemary essential oil. Massage this oil onto the Heart Chakra in a circular motion. Apply this elixir to the pulse points on the wrist, neck abdomen and top of feet.
- Meditation with Clear Quartz: This stone shows us clarity of change and sees us through the other side Meditate with this stone in your dominant hand or both hands together. Place the stone in front of you or meditate in a circle of clear quartz.
Animal Crystal Shapes and their Correspondences
You can use these specific stones for jewelry, meditations, or carry them as a totem. (Click here for information on specific stone and gem correspondences.)
- Alligator: Survival and stealth
- Dolphin: Joy and harmony
- Frog: Cleansing and Peace
- Goose: Safe returns from trips
- Otter: Joy and laughter
- Salmon: Determination and persistence
- Seagull: Versatility
- Seal: Contentment
- Swan: Elegance
- Turtle: Love and protection
- Whale: Creativity and intuition
- Antelope: Speed and grace
- Bear: Strength and self-knowledge
- Buffalo: Abundance and healing
- Caribou: Mobility
- Cougar: Leadership
- Coyote: Humor
- Elephant: Luck and good memory
- Elk: Pride and majesty
- Fox: Cleverness
- Goat: Diligence
- Hedgehog: Self preservation
- Horse: Freedom and power
- Lizard: Letting go
- Moose: Spontaneity
- Porcupine: Innocence
- Rabbit: Conquering any fears
- Skunk: Caution
- Snail: Perseverance
- Snake: Power
- Squirrel: Thriftiness
- Bee: Gathering for the community
- Bird: Unity and freedom
- Butterfly: Transformation
- Crane: Balance
- Crow: Council and wisdom
- Dragonfly: Skill and refinement
- Eagle: Healing and potency
- Hawk: Truth
- Owl: Vision and insight
- Raven: Mystery
- Sandpiper: Quickness
These are most of the common animals. There are, of course, many more to be named, but this is a comprehensive list of most animals.
When you wear or use these symbols in your daily life, they can bring the aforementioned value to your life. They can be totems or just special symbols that connect with your inner being.
Many people have animals as their totems as well as other objects. These animals stay with you for your entire life and ward off danger when they feel you are threatened.
They are meant to watch over us and keep us protected.
Other Crystal Shapes
There are also other shapes used for crystal making that have numerous meanings as well. These are the most common seen and used by others. Find your specific piece by seeing what resonates with you when you look at it and hold it.
- Crystal Ball: Send energy in every direction
- Pyramids: Focus all energies
- Egg shape: Bring forth new beginnings
- Scarab: Abundance
- Feather: Call the spirits
- Ankh: Enhances fertility of the mind, spirit, and bod
- Yin Yang: Balance
- Cross: Protection
- Heart: Love
Selecting a Healing Crystal
The first step in selecting a crystal to enhance a space is to identify the desired effect. For example, a person who is currently going through a divorce or other traumatic life event may wish to receive more nurturing and unconditional love.
Another person, feeling the stress and fears of others nearby or in the world-at-large, may use crystals to help create a calm and peaceful meditation room or private healing space.
When this intention is created, the person's own subtle energy serves as a tuning fork that helps direct him/her to the crystals that may be most helpful. This process may manifest in different ways at various times.
People may find themselves attracted to particular stones visually, through pleasing touch or by simply sensing that they feel a greater sense of well being when they hold them or are around them. Books about crystals and suggestions from others, including feng shui consultants and other energy practitioners, may also be helpful.
Since crystal books talk about energy in fixed terms, and the energies of human beings and their spaces change constantly, these texts can be most useful by helping one to survey the broad possibilities first. The truest test of whether a particular stone is the right choice is always how the person experiences its effects.
The size of a stone may also be an important consideration. While stone size does not necessarily determine its energetic power, crystals used in the environment generally need to be larger than those used for personal healing.
However, the benefit of smaller crystals increases by using multiple stones or by pairing them with higher vibration crystals such as clear quartz, which can amplify their energy. Pairing crystals with plants or using them in partnership with other design elements such as color may also maximize their beneficial effects.
Caring for Your Crystals
It is suggested that you should never let anyone touch your crystals. Each crystal should be cleansed before use to clear any stored energy by either soaking it or burying it in the ground.
Have everything at room temperature. Soak the crystal in one cup sea salt dissolved in one quart of purified or spring water in a glass bowl. Meditate and ask that the crystal be cleared. Soak from 15 minutes to one full day depending upon how many people have touched the stone.
Rinse under cool water and dry with cotton or silk. Burying: Wrap the crystal in cotton, silk, or linen and bury it in a place you feel comfortable. Leave at least 24 hours.
What to Expect from a Crystal Therapy Session
In this form of body work, (which falls into the category of energy work), a Crystal Healer can position fifty, sixty, seventy or more crystals and/or semi-precious stones and minerals upon the seven chakra points of the body. Stones are also placed in the hands and feet of the participant who lies on a massage or similar-type table.
Prior to the commencement of the actual laying-on of stones, a brief smudging ritual is performed with sage, to neutralize and bless the area. Relaxing music is played, candles are lit, and blessings are invoked . The Healer may request intervention and guidance from sources such as the participant”s Guardian Angels, Spirit Guides, or Masters. Many healers summon their own personal Masters or Spirit Guides to assist them in this ancient form of body work.
The client is asked by the Healer to take three deep, cleansing breaths. The relaxation state begins and a state of meditation ensues. The Healer places the stones upon the client”s body, particularly upon the seven chakra points. The stones begin to work immediately, vibrating and pulsating.
The vibrations of the stones and crystals increase the vibratory rate of the chakra levels. The increase in the body”s rate of vibration directly affects and influences specific organs, glands, and corresponding areas of function in the physical body. The application of crystals additionally affects the human auric field.
During a healing with crystals, some Crystal Healers use a rattle, a feather, or a gourd to pass through the aura and the chakra points. These “tools” are used to remove and break-apart the stored, unbalanced energy. This stored energy, usually the remains of a life trauma, is swept away as debris. The release of the old, unbalanced energy allows for the entry of newer, balanced energy.
The vibrations raised by the placement of stones and crystals, promote healing by re-energizing the body”s energy fields. Following a Crystal Healing, the vibration of the chakras will have been raised to a higher frequency. This new and balanced energy promotes relaxation and reduces stress. The healing process of the human energy field directly influences the healing of the human body.
After a Crystal Healing session, the recipient might not notice an immediate change in themselves. However, people have reported subtle differences in the way others react and respond to them, often remarking on their glowing energy and seeming increase in their vitality. It is almost as if you become as the crystal; glowing, shining, radiating health, and emitting a renewal of energy.
About the authors
- Charles Lightwalker is a Metis shaman, author, medical intuitive, and healer. For more information visit the web site: www.thefamilyoflight.com.
- Lisa Seelandt
- Andrew Pacholyk