Many people are unaware that some of the foods that we eat on regular basis can be deadly to your dog.
It's tough to look at that pleading, furry face and resist giving our best friend some of the yummies we are eating, but, that is exactly what we need to do in order to protect him from dangerous foods for dogs.
Dangerous Foods for Dogs
- A piece of chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Even a small piece of chocolate is dangerous for dogs.
- Anything containing caffeine can have a similar effect and be as dangerous as chocolate, and that includes coffee grounds, tea, and tea bags.
- Grapes and raisins are two of the most dangerous foods for dogs that can cause kidney failure and even a single serving of raisins can kill your dog.
- Excessive salt intake can also cause kidney problems.
- Onions can cause anemia by destroying red blood cells while tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias.
- Tomato plants are particularly toxic to dogs.
- When giving your dog bones ensure they are raw as cooked bones can splinter and damage their internal organs.
- Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis, so it is not wise to feed your dog a diet of fatty foods. Fried foods also fall into this category and are not good to maintain maximum health in your dog.
- Bread dough is another food to avoid. This is very soft and might cause the dog to think that it can just swallow the dough whole. The dough can then rise in your pup’ stomach and cause bloating and nausea
- Certain nuts, such as Macadamia nuts and walnuts, are considered dangerous foods for dogs as they can cause weakness and muscle tremors. Peanut butter however is generally okay provided you use the salt and sugar free peanut butter as sugar can encourage cancer growth.
- Do not give your dog raw fish. When fish is not cooked it can contain parasites. When a dog swallows these parasites they will attach to the wall of the intestines.
- Please never feed your dog alcohol. Their bodies just cannot handle it and it can give them alcohol poisoning very easily and lead to death.
- The core and pits of fruits such as apples, cherries and peaches contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs and can kill them within 24-hours without warning.
A note about avocados…
According to the PetPoisonHotline.com, avocado contains a toxin called persin, but despite the rumors, avocado is not poisonous to dogs, nor likely to cats, although this doesn't mean avocados are a good choice to give your pet. Only certain species are poisoned by persin. While dogs and cats don't seem to be affected by persin, avocado poisoning can be deadly to birds and large animals (such as cattle).
If in doubt, always refrain from feeding your dog foods that you are eating and assuming they will be okay. What is safe for humans can kill your dog within hours.
Keep Your Pets Healthy, Naturally
Just like us, domesticated animals like dogs and cats are affected by the health hazards of modern living. Pollution, poor nutrition, stress and unhealthy lifestyles can lead to a variety of illnesses and conditions that are very similar to those experienced by people.
As our Native Remedies customers grew to know and trust our range of natural remedies for children and adults, they began asking for safe, effective natural solutions especially designed for their pets. As treasured members of their families, our customers wanted their pets to be able to receive the same benefits as they had discovered for themselves with Native Remedies.
In many cases, our natural remedies for humans were used with great effect for the pets in the family and, as time went on, we could no longer ignore the need for remedies especially formulated for pets, with pet-friendly doses and remedies which could be easily administered. Out of this was born PetAlive – a range of herbal and homeopathic remedies to help with a variety of ailments commonly experienced by dogs, cats, horses, and small pets.