NOTE: This article has multiple DIY: Natural Recipes for Common Skin, Beauty Problems. To make it easier to navigate, use the Table of Contents button to your right!
Clove-Honey Skin Lightening Mask
Mix all the ingredients into a paste and apply to the skin in light, upward strokes. Leave on for 20 minutes.
Skin Bleaching Tonic
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Place lemon slices and wine in a glass or enamel pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar, and let cool. Strain the mixture and store in a tightly capped bottle. Use as a skin refresher and after using a skin lightening mask. Makes 8 ounces.
Home Remedies for Brown Spots and Freckles
1) Apply odorless castor oil or vitamin E nightly.
2) Apply lemon juice as a bleach to the spots
3) An old folk remedy for brown spots or freckles: Dissolve some sugar in the juice of one lemon. Apply mixture to each freckle with a camels hair brush.
Royal Jelly Facelift
Inspired by Better Basics for the Home, by Annie B. Bond (Three Rivers Press, 1999). http://www.care2.com/
I once bought active royal bee jelly for a Skincare formula I was making, and decided to feel what it felt like on my face, so I massaged a small amount into my skin.
In a few minutes I noticed my skin tightening. I decided to go look in the mirror, and low and behold I looked like I had just had a face lift! While putting royal jelly on straight is too tightening to wear comfortably for very long, I formulated a royal jelly face lift cream that feels good and gives the look of a face lift too! Here is the formula:
The Royal Jelly Facelift Cream
This easy skin cream only takes 25 minutes to make! Use active royal jelly available in health food stores.
- 2 1/2 ounces blended oils (see “What are the Best Oils for Your Skin,” below)
- 1 1/2 ounces Coconut Oil or Cocoa Butter
- 1/2 ounce Beeswax
- 4 ounces distilled or purified water
- 2-3 teaspoon active royal jelly
- 30 drops Grapefruit seed extract (available in health food stores)
- Essential oils of choice (optional)
Weigh the Coconut Oil and Beeswax on a scale. Combine the oils and Beeswax in a double boiler, and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally. This step takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the melted oils and Beeswax from the stove and add the water. Mix with an electric mixer until creamy and thick. Stir in the Grapefruit seed extract and essential oils (if using). Store in glass jars with screw-on tops. Makes 8 ounces of cream.
Note: This cream should last for 4 months or so, but if you see mold growing, discard. When you make kitchen cosmetics, cleanliness is really important so bacteria doesn't grow. Purified or distilled water is used in this recipe because bacteria has been filtered out.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes.
How to Do an Herbal Facelift
This recipe is too drying for the eye area, so avoid applying it there.
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup Orrisroot (find it online at your favorite herbal shop)
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dulse (a kind of seaweed; buy it at your local natural foods store or online at your favorite herbal shop)
- 2 tablespoons kelp (available at your local natural foods store or online at your favorite herbal shop)
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- Several strips of 8” by 8” torn bed sheets, gauze, or other clean cotton material
Sift together the baking soda, Orrisroot, and sea salt into a large bowl. In a spice mill, powder the dulse and kelp and add to dry ingredients. Heat the distilled water to boiling, then pour over the dry ingredients.
4. Stir thoroughly.
1. Wear a shirt with a fairly low neckline for easy access to your neck and chin.
2. Moisturize the jaw, chin, neck, and cheek area of your face with a light moisturizer or vegetable oil. Dab your face with a cloth to remove any excess oil or moisturizer.
3. Using a wooden spoon, apply the mixture to the jaw, chin, neck, and cheeks.
4. Immediately wrap the sheets or gauze snugly first around the neck, then from the chin around the head several times, to just below the eyes. Next, wrap sheet or gauze up over the top of the head and under the china few times to secure.
5. Relax and be quiet until the mixture and sheets become dry and tight (approx. 30 minutes). No talking–this will stretch the sheets and keep you from getting the results you desire.
6. Rinse your face and neck with the coldest water you can bear. Notice the surprising softening effects on your skin.
Eye Bags, Puffy Eyes, Eyelashes
Bags Under Eyes Remedy
Brew a cup of strong rose-hip tea. Soak two cotton pads in it, and lie down with the pads over your eyes. This reduces swelling, refreshes and tightens the skin.
Eye Puffiness Eraser Recipe
- 2 teaspoons grated raw potato (no skin)
- 1 teaspoon moisturizer (without urea)
Mix well, then apply around the eyes. Cover with cool, damp cotton or gauze for 10 to 15 minutes.
How to Make a Natural Eyelash Conditioner
This natural eyelash conditioner treatment conditions and thickens the eyelashes. Brush your lashes nightly with a clean mascara brush dipped in almond or castor oil. This really works, I use this recipe every day, and my eyelashes are really long and thick.
Natural Skin Care Based on Science
Your skin is the largest organ in your body. What you put on it can have a profound impact on your overall health over the long term. That's why every ingredient in your skincare product needs to be carefully chosen … to feed your skin with essential nutrients.
Did you know that many skincare products contain only tiny amounts of certain active ingredients, just so they can add them to the label? Or that many popular and expensive skincare products can actually damage your skin?