This starter makes a cinnamon bread, with optional raisins and nuts.
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 2/3 c. milk
- 2/3 c. flour
- 2/3 c. oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
Combine ingredients in large, airtight container with lid. Store at room temperature, do not refrigerate. Stir every day for 17 days. The recipe makes more than the 1 cup needed. But allows for evaporation.
Now the starter is ready. The following instructions are for either the starter you created above or received from a loving friend.
For the next 10 days handle starter according to the following instructions:
- Day 1, receive the starter
- Day 2, 3 & 4 – stir
- Day 5, Add 1 cup each flour, sugar, and milk.
- Day 6 & 7, stir
- Day 8 & 9, stir
- Day 10, Add 1 cup flour, sugar, and milk.
- Divide into 3 containers of 1 cup each for friends.
- After removing the 3 cups of batter, mix in the following ingredients: Using a fork, beat by hand until well blended.
- Add 1 cup raisins and 1 cup nuts (optional).
- Grease pans with butter, sprinkle with sugar instead of flour. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans.