Making beautiful bars of fragrant herbal soap has never been easier. Purchase glycerin- or coconut-oil-based soap blocks at a crafts store, cut them into chunks, and melt them in the microwave.
Add herbs, color, and fragrance to the liquid soap and pour into molds. Purchase soap molds, or use kitchen items such as tart tins or small gelatin molds.
What You Need:
- * Soap base (either glycerin which is clear, or coconut which is creamy white)
- * Cutting board
- * Knife
- * Glass measuring cup with pouring spout
- * Microwave oven or double boiler
- * Color chips or liquid soap colorant
- * Metal spoon
- * Herbs and botanicals
- * Essential oil in desired fragrance
- * Molds
1. Cut soap into 1-inch cubes and place in the glass measuring cup. Heat until the soap is melted. In the microwave, it only requires about 45 seconds to melt a few ounces of soap. Heat in short intervals to prevent boiling over.
2. Once the soap is melted, gradually add the colorant until the desired shade is achieved, stirring thoroughly. Next, add the desired herbs and botanicals. Add essential oil just before pouring liquid soap into the molds to avoid cooking off the fragrance.
3. Let soap cool and harden before removing it from the molds. When choosing plastic containers for molds, use microwavable containers only.
You can add any number of special additives to make custom soaps for specific uses. Add them alone or in complementary combinations. See below for some suggested combinations
- * For a mild abrasive soap, use cornmeal, coffee, or ground almond.
- * For skin-softening benefits, add honey, powdered milk, oatmeal, calendula flower, or barley.
- * For astringent, healing, and antiseptic qualities, use chamomile flowers, tea tree oil, oregano, rosemary, lavender, or sage.
- * For a fresh scent and to remove cooking odors from your hands, add ground dried orange, lemon, or lime peel, mint, coffee, or cinnamon.
Organic Herbs, Oils and Natural Products for Healthy, Natural Living
Starwest Botanicals is who we trust as our on-line supply source for bulk herbs and natural products. Dried herbs, organic herbs, bulk spices, loose leaf organic teas, organic essential oils and aromatherapy supplies are part of the nearly 3000 natural products to choose from at Starwest Botanicals.
Great herbs, oils and other natural products – at great prices – from a name we here at NHH trust! Learn more about StarWest Botanicals!
One way she choosesto help is by offering information on the benefits and uses of natural health and healing methods for the well-being of both people and pets.
Dee also teaches Aromatherapy, Reflexology and Color/Crystal Therapy at the Alternative Healing Academy