Diaper Rash is caused by a skin reaction to irritating diapers and prolonged contact with stool, urine, Perspiration, soaps, detergents or creams.
Typically, the rash affects the groin around the genitals and buttocks; it is red and scaly with tiny bumps, blisters or cracks. When areas outside the diaper region appear, it is important to rule out Yeast Infections, Eczema, Psoriasis, and other problems. Fever, pus, and digestive symptoms are not caused by simple Diaper Rash, and should prompt evaluation for other problems.
In her excellent book, Natural Child Care, Maribeth Riggs suggests a well formulated ointment. I am quoting her directions for DiaperRash Skin Ointment partly because they are good, but also as an example of how such useful information can be presented for home use.
This ointment is made from ingredients that will help keep the surface of an infant’s skin dry, nourish the skin, and fight bacteria. Comfrey Root, Chickweed, and Marshmallow Root all have one thing in common:they contain large amounts of calcium, which can help stimulate tissue growth.Comfrey Root, in particular, is noted for its healing powers, sporting common folk names like knitbone and bruisewort.
These three herbs combined with Goldenseal powder, which serves as a topical antiseptic, are an excellent combination for combating Diaper Rash.
Beeswax and sweet Almond oil both have skin nourishing and soothing qualities. This ointment is also good for mild Abrasions, sunburns and hives.
- 1 Tbl. Chickweed
- 1 Tbl. Marshmallow Root
- 1 Tbl. Comfrey Root
- 1/8 tsp. Golden Seal Root powder
- 1 cup sweet Almond oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
1. Combine the Chickweed, Marshmallow Root, Comfrey Root and Goldenseal Root powder in a cast-iron frying pan with the sweet Almond oil.
2. Gently fry the mixture for 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to let the herbs burn.
3. When the mixture is hot, add the Beeswax and melt it down.
4. When the Beeswax is completely melted, strain the mixture through a cheese cloth into a small, labeled jar with a tight-fitting lid.
5. Refrigerate the ointment until it solidifies. The final ointment is an opaque tan color and smells of Beeswax and Comfrey Root. Keep the ointment in a convenient place near the infant’s changing table, away from heat. Discard any used portion after 2 months.
- Apply the ointment by gently rubbing it on the diaper area each time the diaper is changed. This ointment is very soothing to a rashy infant.
- Three or four applications are usually enough to get rid of Diaper Rash. If the infant’s Diaper Rash does not respond to this treatment, or if it keeps reappearing, investigate factors such as the proper disinfection of diapers, changes in diet, or other skin disorders.
Herbs will not usually be enough to clear this problem, unless used in the context of appropriate care being taken with such issues as:
- Change wet diapers promptly and frequently. Switch types of diapers disposable to cloth or reverse. Use protective ointment (Bees Wax, zincoxide, Calendula, Diaper Rash Skin Ointment).
- Avoid or reduce the use of occlusive rubber pants over the diaper.
- Allow baby to go without diaper, and air and sun dry the area.
- Do not use talcum powder or corn starch. If you must powder, use a Clay product.
Proven to Heal and Replenish Skin
Beta Glucan is an extract known to promote healthy, rejuvenated skin in people who use it as a part of a epidermal care regimen. This compound has been proven to promote a healthy immune system as well.
Glucans have been found to protect the body against the effects of aging, while aiding the skins in self-repair; this solution stimulates the production of Langerhan Cells, which are cells that are essential to those who aspire to have youthful, healthy and moisturized skin.
Beta Silk Lotion helps protect the skin from the damaging chemicals and Ultraviolet Rays that plague our everyday life. It is also effective in the treatment of common skin disorders such as eczema and dermatitis.
With a soft apricot fragrance, Aloe Vera-packed Beta Silk will leave your skin instantaneously nourished and moisturized all day long.
Contains three times more Aloe Vera than Any Competitor
Contains the deep (and scientifically proven) replenishment of Transfer Point’s Beta Glucan Has a 100% money-back, no-hassle guarantee. If you’re not satisfied, you get your money back – period.