If your hair has the moisture content of the Mojave Desert and nothing short of dipping your mane in a bucket of oil seems to correct the problem, here are a few home remedies that can make that brittle hair supple and shiny again.
Home Remedies from the Cupboard
Nuts and seeds
Try snacking on some seeds and nuts. They contain essential fatty acids that can pop that sheen right back into your hair.
There are several ways you can help your dry hair with vinegar. Vinegar is a great conditioner and can improve cleanliness and shine.
- Just add 1 tablespoon vinegar to your hair as you rinse it. Keep a travel-size plastic bottle of vinegar in your shower for this purpose, and take one when you travel, too.
- Since dandruff can make your hair look dull, use vinegar to make dandruff disappear.
- Massage full-strength vinegar into your scalp several times a week before you shampoo. Or, a brief soak in vinegar and water before you shampoo can help control dandruff as well as remove the dulling buildup from sprays, shampoos, and conditioners.
- Add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar to a small basin of water and drape your hair into it. As an alternative, you can put the concoction in a spray bottle and apply it to your hair.
- A conditioner that controls dandruff and gives your hair a healthy shine can be made by mixing 2 cups water and 1/2 cup vinegar. Apply the conditioner after rinsing out your shampoo, and let it stay on your hair for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly with water.
- If you need a stronger treatment for dandruff control, use this same method, but keep the rinse on your hair for 1 hour, covered with a shower cap. Then rinse it out. This vinegar rinse will also help control frizziness in dry or damaged hair.
Home Remedies from the Refrigerator
Avocado and banana
Mash a little overripe banana and avocado together, spread in your hair, and leave it there for up to an hour. Then rinse with warm water.
After your shampoo, rinse your hair with a little beer. This can help restore shine.
To clean hair and give it a super shine, whip an egg into tepid water (not too hot or you’ll be dealing with a poached egg), then lather it into your hair. Rinse it out with tepid water or that egg will poach right on top of your head.
To deep-treat damaged hair, give it a healthy sheen, and cure dryness right down to the roots, use this pre-shampoo conditioning treatment: Mix together 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons olive oil or safflower oil, and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Apply it to your tresses, cover with a plastic cap, and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then shampoo as usual.
You’ll need the full-fat kind, not a diet or low-fat version. Slather 1 tablespoon or so onto your hair, rub it in down to your scalp, then cover with a plastic cap and wait about 30 minutes. Rinse it out thoroughly or you’ll be craving tuna salad the rest of the day.
Rub a little oil into your scalp. Olive oil works well, as does coconut oil. After you rub it on, cover your hair with a cap and leave it on overnight, then shampoo and rinse the oil out in the morning.
Natural Skin Care Based on Science
Your skin is the largest organ in your body. What you put on it can have a profound impact on your overall health over the long term. That’s why every ingredient in your skincare product needs to be carefully chosen … to feed your skin with essential nutrients.
Did you know that many skincare products contain only tiny amounts of certain active ingredients, just so they can add them to the label? Or that many popular and expensive skincare products can actually damage your skin?