What you need:
- Large pot (12 to 6 quarts)
- 1 clean brick or flat rock
- Bunch of aromatic Herbs or flowers (approximately 1/2 gallon or 2 pounds)
- Glass bowl that fits down inside the pot (with 1 inch clearance around all sides)
- Stainless steel bowl large enough to sit on top of the large pot
- 1 chunk of ice, preferable block (fill a milk jug up and freeze, then cut it out).
1. Place large pot on stove. Place brick/flat stone inside.
2. Arrange the fresh herbal material around the brick.
3. Add water up to the top of the brick. This will cover the Herbs or flowers.
4. Place the glass bowl on top of the brick. This is where the distilled floral water will collect.
5. Set the stainless steel bowl on top of the pot and add large chunk of ice to the bowl.
6. Turn the stove burner on low. Gently simmer the herbal mixture on the lowest heat for about 3 hrs.
7. After 3 hrs remove the remove the cover and enjoy. The floral water will have collected in the glass bowl. This is called a steaming method.
Steel bowl with ice in it (acts as the lid as well). Make sure it’s big enough to act as a lid.
Glass bowl on top of brick
Herbs covered in water in the large pot
Bottle the floral water in a capped container, use as an astringent or add to other recipes such as Face Creams, bath waters etc. Refrigerate if you are going to keep for any length of time. Once you blend into your recipes it will be fine.