Essential oils are the oils derived from plants that are used in aromatherapy. Applying essential oil compresses is an effective way of relieving pain and reducing inflammation.
Time Required: 5 minutes
1. In preparing for a hot compress, fill a bowl with very hot water.
2. Add 4 to 5 drops of essential oil.
3. Dip a folded piece of sterile cotton cloth into the prepared water.
4. Squeeze out excess water.
5. Place the moistened cloth onto the affected area until it reaches body temperature.
6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 two to three times.
7. In preparing for a cold compress, replace hot water with ice cold water and follow with steps 2 through 6.
1. Hot compresses are helpful for backaches, rheumatism, arthritis, abscesses, earache, and toothache.
2. Cold compresses are helpful for headaches, neck tension, sprains, and strains.