Making a lavender eye pillow is incredibly simple, yet a wonderful and luxurious gift to give or to receive. I have been making lavender eye pillows for my family and friends for a very long time and they are always an appreciated gift.
The benefits of using a lavender eye pillow are varied and include helping people to sleep better and as well as helping to reduce tension headaches.
I like utilizing these eye pillows to take a relaxing break during a hectic day. I also like to place them inside my pillow case at bedtime so that I can be relaxed by the calming fragrance of lavender, even if the pillow isn’t placed over my eyes.
To make a lavender eye pillow you will need:
- Fabric cut to 8.5″ X 8.5″ (I like satins and silks, but flannel, knit fabrics and soft cotton also work very well.)
- Matching thread
- 3/4 cup of flax seed (more or less depending on the size of pillow you are making)
- 1/4 cup of dried herbs (There are more suggestions for herbs to use at the end of this article.)
- Sewing machine (optional) Lavender eye pillows can easily be sewn by hand as well.
To start making your lavender eye pillow, cut your fabric to your desired length and width. I tend to make mine anywhere from 8 – 9 inches. If you are using a fabric that frays easily, be sure to sew a zig zag stitch around the entire piece of fabric before moving on to the next step.
Now, fold the piece of fabric in half with the ‘wrong’ side of it facing out. Sew along three sides of the fabric, leaving the top edge open to form a type of pouch.
Next, fold the eye pillow inside out so that the right side, or pretty side of the fabric, is facing out. Fill this pouch with about 3/4 cup flax seed. The flax seed adds weight to the pillow, helping to relieve tension around the eyes.
Flax seed is also amazing as a filler if you’re making an eye pillow that you would like to be able to be warmed up in a microwave. The high oil content in flax makes it the perfect filler for this.
You may need to adjust the amount of flax seeds if you are using smaller or larger fabric measurements.
Now, you can add about a 1/4 cup of your chosen dried herbs.
There are an almost limitless number of fragrant herbs to place in your eye pillow, but here are a few suggestions:
* Straight lavender smells beautiful and is very relaxing herb
* Chamomile is another herb known for its relaxing properties
* Wormwood is utilized to help encourage vivid dreams
* Sage and Eucalyptus can be used for clearing sinuses and nasal passages
* Rose petals smell amazing and are uplifting
* You can also use essential oils for fragrance, however I have found that when I utilize good quality herbs, my eye pillows stay fragrant for years without the use of essential oils.
* My favorite blend is mostly lavender with a pinch of chamomile and wormwood. The smell is complex and soothing.
Once your new eye pillow is filled with the flax seed and herbs, fold the unsewn edge in and sew along the edge to close the eye pillow. Congratulations, you now have a beautiful lavender eye pillow that your friends and family will love to receive as a gift for any occasion.
Get your herbs and oils at a place you can trust!
Starwest Botanicals not only utilizes their own milling and packaging operations for all organic herbs and bulk spices, they also conduct quality control testing on each and every product in their own laboratory.
With attention like that, you can be sure you will receive only the highest-quality organic herbs, dried herbs, organic spices, therapeutic essential oils and all natural products when you place an order with Starwest Botanicals.