Hot Toddy Recipe for Colds
1. Pour hot steaming boiling water into cup.
2. Add 2 tsps. lemon juice.
3. Add 2 tsps. honey (any kind, although raw honey is best).
4. Lightly dip one herbal tea bag (any flavor, but we recommend Traditional Medicinals Gypsy Cold Care tea to be used in a hot toddy recipe for colds) in cup. If you are using the Gypsy Cold Care tea, steep, covered, for 10-15 minutes before drinking.
5. Sip slowly. Repeat every two hours (or as needed) for cold/flu.
Add 1 tsp. of rum, brandy, whiskey, or cordial to this hot toddy recipe for colds. When I was a child, my mom’s ‘go to’ cough syrup was whiskey, lemon, and honey in equal amounts. We’d get about a tablespoon per dose. I used the same for my children as they were growing up and it is, in my opinion, the best cough syrup around. This hot toddy for colds can work in much the same way!
NOTE: The purpose of this hot toddy recipe for colds is threefold:
1. The hot steam from the boiled water will help loosen the mucus in your nose and throat and enable you to breathe more freely.
2. The lemon dislodges the mucus from your throat and adds much-needed vitamin C.
3. The honey not only coats your throat to prevent redness, but also soothes the throat irritation from the dislodged mucus, as well as adding nutritional benefits.
4. If you add the alcohol, it helps to “sweat” out whatever fever you may have and helps you sleep better.
Adding the tea to this hot toddy recipe for colds is not absolutely necessary unless you want additional flavoring, but do not use regular tea as most are caffeinated. Gypsy Cold Care by Traditional Medicinals is my personal favorite for this remedy, with green tea being a close second.
Before you head off to make this terrific hot toddy recipe for colds, let me recommend 2 natural antiviral remedies for colds and flu to you. Beta Glucan has been tested by our editors and found to be very effective at boosting the immune system, speeding recovery time from viral infections such as cold and flu, and warding off further viral infections. I, personally, use Beta Glucan natural immune system booster for myself and my children during cold and flu season for its outstanding antiviral and immune system strengthening action.
Hot toddies have been around for centuries, especially in England and Ireland. What I’ve particularly noticed is that upon drinking two or three cups of this tea (spaced two hours apart), my cold symptoms are reduced dramatically within 24 hours. We hope this hot toddy recipe for colds helps you feel a whole lot better!
One way she choosesto help is by offering information on the benefits and uses of natural health and healing methods for the well-being of both people and pets.
Dee also teaches Aromatherapy, Reflexology and Color/Crystal Therapy at the Alternative Healing Academy