- 1 package of active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoon sweet butter
- 1 Teaspoon Dried lavender buds
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon thyme
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh basil; finely chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup Unbleached flour
- softened sweet butter (for top)
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a larger bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, honey, butter, herbs, baking soda and eggs. Stir in the yeast mixture. Gradually add flour to form a stiff dough, beating well after each addition. Cover and let rise about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Stir the dough down with a spoon. Place in a well-greased 1 1/2 or 2 qt. casserole or ten 4″ individual pie tins. Let rise 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
Bake at 350 F. for one hour for a large loaf, 20 to 30 minutes for small loaves. When done, turn onto a rack, brush top(s) with soft butter, and let cool.
Makes 1 large round loaf or 10 individual dinner rolls.