Even when frowns are prevented from occurring with a cosmetic procedure, studies have concluded that the inability to frown actually improved a subject’s mood and decreased symptoms of depression.
Dr. Eric Finzi, a medical director and president of Chevy Chase Cosmetic Center in Chevy Chase, Md., and Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery Associates in Greenbelt, Md., theorizes that the reason for this is the constant feedback going on between facial expression muscles and the brain.
A paper published by the Journal of Dermatologic Surgery in 2006 reported on a small pilot study conducted by Dr. Eric Finzi which found nine of 10 depressed patients recovered from their symptoms after receiving a cosmetic procedure which paralyzed the muscles between the eyebrows. Shockingly, this was nearly twice the success rate of anti-depressants.
Does this mean that cosmetic procedures should be the new cure for depression? Absolutely not! But it does indicate that there are ways other than with prescription medications to improve and balance your moods and stress levels, such as with herbal and homeopathic remedies.
So, can we train our facial muscles to smile instead of frowning? The answer is yes. “We have a lot of control over our moods,” says William Fleeson, associate professor of psychology at Wake Forest University, who has shown in studies that subjects are actually able to change the expression of basic personality traits on demand and lift their spirits in a matter of minutes.
Smiling and deep breathing when faced with difficulties and times of stress are a great way to neutralize negative thoughts that can make matters even worse. Many people don’t even realize they frown and sometimes even stop breathing normally when under stress.
When we are nervous or anxious, breathing usually becomes shallow. This deprives our body of fresh oxygen and elevates our heart rate, further aggravating symptoms of anxiety.
Having the mental clarity to take a moment and slow down your breathing is hard to remember but can be achieved with perseverance, and the benefits to your mental and physical health will be enormous.
If smiling– even not frowning– can help control the symptoms of depression, imagine how well natural remedies can help provide extra support. Natural treatments that feature herbal and homeopathic remedies are safe and gentle to use without adverse side effects. Native Remedies provides you with a full range of proven natural remedies for support of your physical, emotional and mental well-being.
Related Natural Remedies
* The Calm Within CD features a combination of therapeutic and soothing music especially designed to induce a state of deep relaxation, effectively relieving tension and supporting the body’s natural ability to heal.
* PureCalm is a 100% safe, non-addictive herbal remedy that has been specially formulated by a Clinical Psychologist for adults and children. PureCalm can been used to safely maintain harmony, health and systemic balance in the brain and nervous system, without harmful side effects and without sedatives.
* MindSoothe can be used to safely maintain emotional health, balanced mood and systemic harmony in the brain and nervous system, without harmful side effects. This remedy contains a selection of herbs known for their calming and supportive function in maintaining brain and nervous system health, emotional balance and overall well-being.
* Mood Tonic is a 100% natural combination of three cellular-supporting biochemic tissue salts especially selected for their positive effects on brain structures, brain chemistry, and nervous system health.
* Fatigue Fighter is a 100% safe, non-addictive, natural herbal remedy that can be used consistently to safely support healthy energy levels, increase stamina and endurance.
“…I began to feel that I wanted to change to something more natural and better for me. With the guidelines you gave me, I made the transition with very few problems and can truly say that your MindSoothe is helping me with each passing day – and I feel much better about it! I can recommend MindSoothe anytime to soothe the mind naturally!” -Joe, USA
“Your MindSoothe really helped me. I have been going through some bad times in a relationship and I felt as though I had hit rock bottom. After only three weeks, I could feel I had natural support. You will be glad to know that after six weeks I dumped the guy who was causing all the trouble and I am having a great time now! MindSoothe helped me through it, THANK YOU!!” – Linda Solomons, USA
“I want to recommend your Triple Complex Nerve Tonic to all who at times find themselves feeling on edge and flustered. Since taking them I have noticed that I am calmer and more grounded. If I do feel that I am getting butterflies about something, I simply suck two tablets!” – Sabrina
Fill out the form below to receive our free natural health newsletter. It's filled with practical tips, health alerts & more!
As a thank you, we'll send you The Healing Art of Reflexology mini-course FREE!!
Free PDF Health Ebook...