When you hear about superfoods, it can sound somewhat intimidating. It may sound like you have to spend a great deal of money and completely change your diet, or force yourself to eat meals that taste unpleasant. In reality, though, superfoods are just regular foods – some are unusual, but they are generally just really healthy foods you can include in your regular diet.
Here are some examples of superfoods and easy ways you can add them into your daily diet.
Berries like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and cherries are superfoods which contain important vitamins and minerals, and are rich in antioxidants. Most health experts agree that the antioxidants and nutrients are more numerous and effective when these berries are eaten raw. These superfoods are great to eat out of hand, along with some of these other ways:
* Blueberries, sliced strawberries, and raspberries are good on hot or cold cereal.
* Freeze any berries and use them in smoothies.
* Puree berries and freeze into popsicles.
* Frozen berries are tasty eaten out of hand.
* Serve a mixed fruit salad that includes berries.
* Top shortcake with whipped cream and berries.
Green tea is not only considered one of the superfoods which is full of antioxidants; it’s also purported to help boost weight loss. Many stores offer flavors of green tea to make it even more enticing and fun to include in your diet. Green tea can be consumed in various ways.
* Brew green tea and drink hot for your morning cup.
* Mix green tea with your regular black tea, hot or iced.
* Coffee can also be mixed with green tea.
* Flavor green tea with fruit juice and drink it iced.
Health professionals point out that flax seeds (one of the healthiest superfoods) should be ground up into a flour or meal for you to get the full nutritional benefits. Whole flax seeds pass through the digestive tract intact, meaning you don’t get any of the healthful benefits. Try including flax meal into your everyday diet with some of these ideas.
* Replace part of the flour in your favorite baked goods recipe with flax meal (breads, cookies, muffins, and so forth).
* Sprinkle flax meal on hot or cold cereal.
* Add flax meal to smoothies.
* Sprinkle it on yogurt.
Look for raw nuts in your local grocery or health food store. Raw nuts are probably healthier, as they do not contain any added fat or salt, and heat has not destroyed the healthy fatty acids in these little superfoods.
* Sprinkle chopped nuts on oatmeal, cold cereal, or salads.
* Roll peeled bananas in chopped, raw peanuts.
* Dip apple slices in melted dark chocolate and roll in chopped nuts. Apples and dark chocolate are considered superfoods, too!
Due to high Omega-3 Fatty Acid content, fish is one of the best superfoods to protect your heart and cardiovascular system. If you’re not used to fish, it can seem intimidating. But it’s really an easy food to prepare. Here are some ideas.
* Have a “fish night” at least once a week.
* Mild white fish can be cut into strips and used to make healthy homemade fish sticks.
* Broil salmon and baste with lemon juice and olive oil.
Another great way to get the Omega 3‘s found in superfoods such as flax and fish:
Scientists have established the effectiveness of Omega 3 in a number of health areas, including your Heart, Brain, Joints, Skin, Immune system, Vision, and Digestion. Like any product on the market today there are ‘good fish oils’ and there are ‘bad fish oils’! With a bad one you may be unwittingly introducing substances into your body that you DO NOT want… such as Mercury and PCB’s for example.
We impose tougher standards on the purity of our fish oil than any other known manufacturer. DHA is the most important fatty acid in the human brain. High in DHA and proven to be pure and free of contaminants the Xtend-Life brand is considered to be the ‘Rolls Royce’ of concentrated Omega 3 fish oils at an affordable cost and has been enjoyed by thousands of customers in more than 40 countries for the last eight years.Free PDF Health Ebook...